Cubase Lessons Live Online
Cubase – DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)
We can teach Cubase from the ground up or provide one-off lessons to resolve any problems you may be experiencing when using Cubase, for all ages at any level.
We also offer live online composition tuition using of Cubase, Sibelius and Pro Tools.
Cubase is a very versatile environment for working with audio and midi, so depending on your fields of interest, your lessons can take any number of different directions.
You might want to create a mock-up with virtual instruments, record live instruments, manipulate audio or even work with video. The possibilities are almost endless for producing your own sound.
We offer one-off lessons to answer any questions related to Cubase workflow, however we don’t intend to replace the official Steinberg’s Support System. Our courses are intended to teach specific skills about working with Cubase:
- Cubase 010
Learn how to perform all the fundamental operations with Cubase and how a Digital Audio Workstation works.
- Cubase Course in Sound-Design
For creating your own sound through audio-manipulation, synthesis and effects.
- Cubase Course for MIDI mockup
Learn how you can use the virtual instruments and samples for creating realistic demo recordings.
- Cubase Course in Recording, Mastering and Mixing
For specialising in how to polish recordings and develop critical listening skills.
- Cubase Course in Practical Music Theory
For Cubase users that want to attain a solid music theory background and know how to apply that music theory.
To complete a course and reach a competent level usually takes between 9 and 18 hours of lessons, depending on student ability and experience.
On completion of a course, you will be able to:
- Produce any type of music tracks for the project that you have in mind.
- Attain a more a consistent and faster speed when working with audio, MIDI and effects in Cubase.
- Create compositions and/or Music Worksheets with Cubase.
Common problems which will be solved
- You can’t find the right menu or button for performing a certain operation. You may feel lost because of the amount of menus and buttons available.
- You tend not to use keyboard shortcuts and consequently your workflow is slow.
- You have been using Cubase effects by ear but you don’t really understand what they do.
- You may not be fully exploiting the full potential and capacity of Cubase tools.
- You compose music with Cubase by ear and you feel like now is the time to gain a more solid music theory background, in order to better reproduce what you hear in your head.
- You’re finding that watching online tutorials doesn’t answer all your questions and you need some one-to-one specialist assistance.
How lessons work
- Dan, your online Cubase teacher, shares his screen through the video call (eg. Skype) to demonstrate how to operate the program, as well as to review files you send to him.
- You may share your screen with Dan if you need to show any aspect of your workflow.
- Cubase and Skype can easily be set up so sound can be heard on both. We usually help you set this up during the free trial lesson, so communication between us is seamless.
About your teacher, Dan
Dan has a wide range of experience working with different DAWs (Live Ableton, Fl Studio, Reaper, etc) for over 5 years.
Cubase is one of the best DAWs in the market because of its interface and capability for working with MIDI, Audio, Effects and Video, so last year Dan switched to using Cubase exclusively.
Dan received specialist training at ThinkSpace Education that enabled him to feel more confident with Cubase as a media composer. He believes that composition is not only about writing scores but also about creating good recordings. Essentially for Dan, music will always be about sound, rather than just abstract signs on paper.
Here are some of Dan’s compositions at SoundCloud
- Cubase Pro 8.5. You may be using an earlier version of the software as well as the Artist version, but it may limit your possibilities (please refer to Steinberg’s website to compare versions).
- Video-calling Software such as Skype, Google Hangouts, FaceTime, etc.
- Minimum of 8 GB RAM (minimum of 32 GB if you want to set up an orchestral template)
- Minimum of 50 GB of free disk space (you may find you need more free disk space if you work more with audio files, since Cubase backups the audio files of the project as WAV files)
- Speakers and headphones
- Microphone (laptop built-in is OK)
- Webcam (laptop built-in is OK)
- Internet connection
Live online Cubase courses prices
The price of our Online Cubase Lessons for individual students (live one-to-one tuition) is 40 Euros per hour.
The price for Online Cubase Lessons for groups is a flat rate of 60 Euros per hour and the cost can be shared amongst students.
Part of the tuition is by email with fewer but more flexible contact lessons.
A brochure about the Correspondence Lessons for Sibelius and Cubase can be viewed here.
Composition lessons using Cubase, Sibelius and Pro Tools
Contact us for courses in written composition
Our most common workflow consists of using Sibelius for producing the score and parts, Cubase for the midi mock-up and Pro Tools for preparing the recording session.
However, we understand that you might have a preference for a different score editor (eg. Finale) or a different DAW (eg. Logic, Reaper, Live Ableton, Fl Studio, etc). Your musical possibilities should not be restricted by your software.
We offer two main categories of online composition tuition:
- Composing music in an existing musical styles
- Finding and developing your own musical voice
If you wish to create a composition using an existing musical style, there is an ever increasing number of styles in which we provide expert online tuition. Some of the main musical styles in which we teach composition in depth are:
- Organa and origin of polyphony
- Ars Antiqua
- Ars Nova
- Vocal forms
- Instrumental forms
- Chorals, Canons, Inventions, Fugue, Preludes, Fantasias
- Suite and Concerto
- Vocal forms (Motets, Cantatas, Messes)
Classicism (1st Viennese School)
- Sonata (solo – octet)
- Concerto and Symphony
- Piano solo (nocturnes, mazurkas, intermezzi, etc)
- Chamber Music
- Concerto and Symphony
20th and 21th Century
- Contemporary Music
- Impressionism (Debussy, Ravel, etc)
- Free Atonality eg. Schoenberg
- Dodecaphonic Music (2nd Viennese School)
- Neo-Classicism (Hindemith, Bartok, Shostakovich, etc)
- Spectralism (Grisey, Murail, etc)
- Minimalism (Glass, Reich, etc)
- Musique concrete
- Elektronische Musik
- Electroacoustic Music
- Popular music
- Jazz (Swing, Cool, Bebop, Modal, Latin, Fusion)
- Rock, RnB, Pop, Soul, Funk, etc
- Cinematic Music (Media)
- Standards: Comedy, Action, Suspense, Ethnic (World), Epic, Heroic, Moody Drama, Fantasy, Emotive
- In the style of: John Williams, Hans Zimmer, etc
To learn the basics and principals of a certain musical style doesn’t take long. To master something and take it to the next level is what needs time.
Before setting your personal style, we advise you learn how other peoples’ music works. At first it may seem like learning a foreign language, but you’ll soon begin to understand it and eventually you become fluent with how it’s working. We can help you with this process.
We welcome online composition students who have an open mind. Knowing the principals and mastering as many styles, makes you unique as both a composer and as a musician.
Live online Composition Courses prices
Our Composition Courses are provided through three different Plans.
Each Plan consists of one or more live one-to-one online lessons, combined with personal and detailed tuition to enable the development of your composition/s through email.
Basic plan. 100 Euros per month which includes:
- 1 lesson (at 45 minutes)
- Tuition through email for scores (up to 50 pages) and tracks (up to 20 minutes)
Standard plan. 200 Euros per month which includes:
- 2 lessons (at 60 minutes each)
- Tuition through email for scores (up to 120 pages) and tracks (up to 45 minutes)
Premium plan. 300 Euros per month which includes:
- 4 lessons (at 60 minutes each)
- Tuition through email for scores (up to 200 pages) and tracks (up to 80 minutes)
If you have any questions, please contact Tracy who can arrange a chat over Skype and for you to try a free lesson.