Sibelius Lessons Live Online
Sibelius – Score editor
We provide Sibelius lessons live online from introductory to professional level.
We also offer live online composition tuition using of Cubase, Sibelius and Pro Tools.
We can overcome problems where you have got stuck, or take you from something as simple as writing down a harmonic 4-part exercise.
Or you might need help with something as complex as a symphonic film cue, where you need to prepare the conductor’s score and all the individual parts. We can guide you with ease.
Having a clear score is of vital importance. Each minute at the recording studio costs you money, and no-one wants to waste money on things we could have done home.
We can teach you how to create modern and contemporary scores with Sibelius, in order to produce complex and competent graphic notations.
It is amazing that I can login each week, from a small country town in Australia, and be connected to a professional musician and teacher on the other side of the world.
Music Lessons Anywhere Skype Sibelius lessons are truly the best lessons I have accessed – all in the comfort of my own home.
I cannot recommend them highly enough. My lessons are the highlight of the week.”
Rob Kelly (professional musician), Australia.
We offer one-off lessons to answer any questions related to the software or the scores you are editing or composing with Sibelius. Or you can take regular lessons which will elevate you to wherever you want to go, be it a competent user to an accomplished Sibelius professional.
Through regular lessons, depending on your starting level, you will be able to:
- Produce any type of music score ready for publishing and printing.
- Work at a faster pace producing music scores.
- Create compositions and/or Music Worksheets with Sibelius.
Common problems which will be solved
- Introducing all the notes only with the mouse (very time consuming).
- Specific obstacles may be encountered, solutions to which are difficult or impossible to find on the web.
- Your score editing is slow when pace can be dramatically improved by following specific training.
- Working through Sibelius Reference Guides is inefficient as you don’t necessarily need use of all its multitude of options.
- The web may provide answers and information about using Sibelius but it is difficult to find how to make workflow more efficient, when producing a specific types of scores.
How lessons work
- Your online Sibelius teacher shares their screen through the video call (eg. Skype or Zoom) to demonstrate how to operate the program, as well as to review files you send over.
- You may share your screen if you need to show any aspect of your workflow.
- Sibelius and Skype or Zoom can easily be set up so sound can be heard on both. We usually help you set this up during the free trial lesson, so communication between us is seamless.
I couldn’t imagine a better teacher anywhere.“
Chris Cavalari, New York, USA.
Your teacher, Kelsey Joanne Rogers
Kelsey has been using Sibelius as a professional composer since 2012.
More about Kelsey here.
- If possible, the latest version of Sibelius, but earlier versions are acceptable.
- Video-calling Software such as Skype or Zoom.
- Minimum of 1 GB RAM (16 GB if you are going to use the Sibelius Sound Set, you will need 36 GB of disk space, preferably SSD)
- 1 GB of disk space (in reality, Sibelius files take very little space, so 1 GB may amount to a lifetime of scores 🙂 )
- Speakers and headphones
- Microphone (laptop built-in is OK)
- Webcam (laptop built-in is OK)
- Internet connection
Live online Sibelius courses prices
The price of our Online Sibelius Lessons for individual students (live one-to-one tuition) is £40 (approx. US$51) per hour.
The price for Online Sibelius Lessons for groups is £50 (approx. US$64) for an hour shared by two students or £60 (approx. US$77) for an hour shared by 3 to 5 students (maximum 5 students to a group lesson).
Part of the tuition is by email with fewer but more flexible contact lessons.
A brochure about the Correspondence Lessons for Sibelius and Cubase can be viewed here.
A Sibelius score and composition, ‘Dusk’ by Chris Cavalari.
Chris took online Sibelius lessons with us and kindly sent us this video, especially for this page. Thank you Chris!
Composition lessons using Cubase, Sibelius and Pro Tools
Contact us for courses in written composition
Our most common workflow consists of using Sibelius for producing the score and parts, Cubase for the midi mock-up and Pro Tools for preparing the recording session.
However, we understand that you might have a preference for a different score editor (eg. Finale) or a different DAW (eg. Logic, Reaper, Live Ableton, Fl Studio, etc). Your musical possibilities should not be restricted by your software.
Krzysztof Gosudarski, Luton, England.
We offer two main categories of online composition tuition:
- Composing music in an existing musical styles
- Finding and developing your own musical voice
If you wish to create a composition using an existing musical style, there is an ever increasing number of styles in which we provide expert online tuition. Some of the main musical styles in which we teach composition in depth are:
- Organa and origin of polyphony
- Ars Antiqua
- Ars Nova
- Vocal forms
- Instrumental forms
- Chorals, Canons, Inventions, Fugue, Preludes, Fantasias
- Suite and Concerto
- Vocal forms (Motets, Cantatas, Messes)
Classicism (1st Viennese School)
- Sonata (solo – octet)
- Concerto and Symphony
- Piano solo (nocturnes, mazurkas, intermezzi, etc)
- Chamber Music
- Concerto and Symphony
20th and 21th Century
- Contemporary Music
- Impressionism (Debussy, Ravel, etc)
- Free Atonality eg. Schoenberg
- Dodecaphonic Music (2nd Viennese School)
- Neo-Classicism (Hindemith, Bartok, Shostakovich, etc)
- Spectralism (Grisey, Murail, etc)
- Minimalism (Glass, Reich, etc)
- Musique concrete
- Elektronische Musik
- Electroacoustic Music
- Popular music
- Jazz (Swing, Cool, Bebop, Modal, Latin, Fusion)
- Rock, RnB, Pop, Soul, Funk, etc
- Cinematic Music
- See our specialist live online Music For Media Lessons here
- Standards: Comedy, Action, Suspense, Ethnic (World), Epic, Heroic, Moody Drama, Fantasy, Emotive
- In the style of: John Williams, Hans Zimmer, etc
To learn the basics and principals of a certain musical style doesn’t take long. We can help you take it to the next level, even to becoming a master composer if you wish.
For beginners, at first it may seem like learning a foreign language, but you’ll soon begin to understand the language of composing and become fluent with how it’s working. We can help you with this process.
We welcome online composition students who have their own ideas which they’d like to develop. Knowing the principals and mastering many styles, will make you unique as both a composer and as a musician.
Live Online Composition Lessons prices
The prices of our Online Composition Lessons for individual students (live one-to-one tuition) are from £30 (approx. US$39) per hour, £24 (approx. US$31) for 45 minutes lessons or £16.50 (approx. US$21) for 30 minute lessons.
The price for Online Composition Lessons for groups is £40 (approx. US$51) for an hour (maximum 5 students to a group lesson).
If you have any questions, please contact Tracy who can arrange a chat over Skype or Zoom and for you to try a free lesson.